Been a while…
March 2018 S M T W T F S « Oct 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Been a while…
Well, that’s a wrap. Beta time.
This release will be the last release to support iOS 6.x and earlier (it may also drop iOS 5.1 support, depending on how the tools handle things). The next release will be iOS 7 and later only. I am reluctant to drop the older support, but the installed base stats just do not justify keeping around the old code. There was a lot of “if iOS7 do X; otherwise do Y” that had to go in to the last few releases to play nicely with all the releases. It is time to clean that stuff up and migrate to some of the new APIs.
RCLogbook 4.2 adds a model type for multicopters to the mix and you might wonder “How can I change one of my existing models to a multicopter?” now that RCLogbook knows about multicopters..
For a variety of reasons, the UI in RCLogbook does not allow you to change the type of a model after it has been created. However, you can change the type through the database import and export functionality. It is a bit more involved, but it works.
The poor blog has been neglected, but it keeps coming back from the dead anyway.
Though, in the meantime, 4.1 and 4.2 got taken care of and released into the wild. You can find 4.2 on your friendly neighborhood App Store. These are both incremental releases, but there is some good stuff in there like Dropbox support (finally) and multicopter model types.
The coding elves are busy working on putting in a few cool things for whatever comes after 4.2. Parallel charging/discharging support is wrapping up along with a few other goodies.
We are back (kinda). Real life has been very busy over the last year and RCLogbook has not had much attention.
The next release, 4.0.1 will probably be submitted in the next day or two. This is mostly a maintenance release with a few minor features (access to notes from pre- and post-event checklists).
Once that drops, we will turn our attention to iOS7.
It is looking like 4.0.1 will be the last build of RCLogbook that supports iOS4. We are thinking that the next release for iOS7 will require iOS5 or later. Honestly, given the scope of changes in iOS7, a pretty good case can be made for moving the next release to iOS7 or better. The changes are deep enough that maintaining support for pre-iOS7 versions is going to be a huge pain. We are going to give it a shot and see how it goes.
iOS7 is going to leave a mark.
Well, as you have probably seen, 4.0.0 is now out. The day job got really crazy and we are behind getting documentation up and the website updated. Not that anyone reads the user’s guide anyway, amirite?
There is all kinds of goodies in 4.0.0, many thanks to the beta testers who did great work beating on the app.
Not sure what happened over the past week or so, but the volume of spam in the comments has really increased. So, we are turning on registration in the hopes that will help smooth things out a bit.
The beta continues on 4.0.0 with lots of iOS 6 and iPhone 5 testing. There are still some nagging issues that we need to get worked out, but so far, so good. We are hoping to get the testing wrapped up and the app submitted next week.
We found a few annoying bugs late in testing, that slowed us down.
Then, I am not sure you heard this, but I guess Apple announced a new iPhone?
Along with the phone came new development tools which created a few other issues.
So, we are holding the release until next month. This will give us a chance to get it updated for iOS 6 as well as iPhone 5. Plan is to get the submission to the App Store elves at Apple right around the end of September which would put it in the store early October. This will add one more bullet to the feature list:
The only bad news out of this (well, other than the delay), is that RCL 4 will now require iOS 4.3 or greater. This means that 3.8.2 will be the last release than runs on the venerable iPhone 3G. Long story as to why this is so, but it is due to some changes in the development tools and a desire not to leave anyone with an iPhone 3G running a broken 4.0.0 release that we cannot release an update for.